Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hospital stay

At the moment, it is day 5 after the op. I am sitting up in my hospital bed on mums little lap top with the tv on and my bowels rumbling. I have been given various doses of stool softeners and laxatives the past few days as I had not yet ‘opened my bowels’ for almost a week (all the pain killers with codeine aren’t any help). They won’t let me go home until I do and until I am confident on the crutches.

Let me recount the past week…

Tuesday 8th February 2011, a week ago, was my last day at work. I gave a handover to the new girl who started as my 8 week replacement and left after that at about 2pm to get some stuff done like visit the chemist, medicare etc. That night friends took me out to dinner to wish me good luck with the surgery and I had the best laksa ever.

Wednesday 9th February 2011, Mick and I woke up pretty early unintentionally but started to get ready and pack our bag. We left for Sydney at about 10.30am and arrived at our hotel in Coogee just before 2pm, checked in and relaxed in our room for the afternoon. A nurse from the hospital phoned me at about 4.30 to let me know of the admission and fasting details of the next day. My admission time was 1pm and I was to fast from 7am. Mum and Dad were driving from QLD to Sydney and was set to meet us in time for dinner. There are so many gorgeous restaurants in Coogee it was hard to choose one but we settled on a cute dimly lit cozy one tucked among the rest as I felt like something light and healthy for my last supper which they offered.

Thursday 10th February 2011, D-Day. We woke up at 6.30am so that I could get some breakfast into me before fasting. This consisted of a ham & cheese croissant and orange juice. We then went back up to the hotel and lay in bed for a couple more hours before checking out and meeting my parents at their accommodation (A lodge next to the hospital). I got to sit and watch them eat a yummy lunch before we made our way across the road for admission.
One we reached the nurses station I realized I had forgot the x-rays which was so important that I bring. I panicked and ordered Mick the run back to the car quickly and get them. While he did that I signed the appropriate paper work and was told where to go next.
Mick came back with the x-rays all hot and bothered from running and we made our way to the wards.
Mum, Dad, Mick and I sat in what would be my room for the next week. It was a single private room with spacious enough bathroom, large tv and not overly impressive view but I was just happy that it was private.
I got changed into the sexy open backed hospital gown I was given and was visited by several nurses, one of which gave me a scare by inspecting my leg area and telling me that Dr Solomon will refuse to operate even if there is the smallest scratch or pimple in the area. I had a couple red dots from shaving on my leg which she was concerned about and told us that he is known to cancel ops because of this reason. WTF?! There is no way he is cancelling this one, my parents, my work, accommodation, flights everything has been planned around this date and it would mess up a lot if that happened! Luckily it didn’t as she must have thought I was a THR patient but also was super worried because she had got in trouble by Dr Solomon before for prepping a patient for surgery when he had an open scratch on his thigh and surgeon can’t risk that because of chance of infection when they scrub you and prep you etc…and also I’m not as old and frail as most of his patients…
ANYWAY that small drama aside, the anesthetist came to see me to go through what would be happening on his end then Dr Solomon came in to see me and all was good to go.
Nurse sent everyone out of the room and prepped me for the op by cleaning the area but WOOPS I left my belly button ring in! I was told to remove all piercings but for some reason I forgot I even had that one. Then began the 15 minute struggle to remove it. It seemed to be stuck and impossible to get out…like it rusted in place and would not turn or unscrew. I tried frantically. The nurse tried. We sent for mum who tried. She sent for dad who tried. The nurse went to call the surgery room and tell them of our issue. Mikk tried. We contemplated going to the car to get the tool box to cut it off right as the nurse came back to tell us it is fine to just put a tape over it. Phew.
Now I was ready to go, it was about 2.30pm when the wardsman came to wheel me away with mum in tow as I said quick byes to dad and Mick.
I was wheeled into a room next to where Dr Solomon does his craft. We could hear what sounded like a workshop in the other room with hammering going on when the nurse man apologized for ‘having to hear that’ I realized that was surgery and someone’s bone that was being chiseled into. Mum was looking as if she was going to pass out and I kept asking her if she was ok while the nurse man kept asking me if I was ok.
All through that I was fine and felt relatively calm but the palms of my hands told another story. They were sweating like they never have before.
A needle thing was put in my hand and I was given an injection of something that would ‘calm me’ and apparently make me not remember anything from that point on even though I was still conscious. Mum thought this amusing and I told her to tell me her worst secret or something really controversial to see if I remember it when I wake up later. I remembered all of it so it didn’t really work like he said it would. Finally they were ready to put the epidural needle in my back and sent mum on her way. I don’t really remember saying bye to mum but I remember sitting on the side of the bed and bending over and them sticking it into my spine but don’t remember if it hurt. I’ll say it did.


Next thing I remember…

Waking up in recovery and asking the nurse who was fussing about what time it was. I don’t really remember what she said… 6.45pm? 7.30?
I remember looking down to see my incision and seeing the bandage there.
Then I remember being wheeled into my room where mum, dad and Mick were waiting and I think I got flowers and a teddy. Trying to remember back is like it is a dream where you only remember bits and pieces now and then. It was all pretty hazy the first few days and I couldn’t focus well so kept drifting in and out but man I was thirsty. My mouth was so dry and I kept asking for water and Mick would put a straw in my mouth. They put the catheter in after the epidural so thankfully I was out for that. I remember thinking it was so weird that I couldn’t move my toes. I felt like I had no legs. It was like Kill Bill where she tells her mind to move her big toe over and over until it does. I tried that but it didn’t work. Not for about 4 hours.
Even though he wasn’t supposed to, Mick stayed that first night with me in my room. When the nurse came in for her hourly checks and tests she told us he had to leave but we ended up speaking to the nurse manager who eventually gave in. It was good because he kept feeding me much needed water on request and I liked knowing he was there. I woke up every hour when the nurse had to test my heart rate and pulse.


Friday 11th February 2011, I’ll call this day 1 after op.
Now I don’t remember much as these days all seemed to run into each other. What I remember is Mikk leaving in the early morning to get some much needed sleep in a proper bed (his nana lives nearby so he’s staying at hers).
I slept lots except when being woken by the nurses doing their rounds. Mum and Dad arrived around the same time as breakfast was delivered. I had zero appetite, an extremely dry, foul tasting mouth and no desire for any food or beverage other than water water water! So I didn’t really eat until the weekend and even then I vomited it up.
I received lovely flowers and teddy from Mikks mum, nan and my parents. <3
Nothing much else about that day stuck in my mind except that I noticed it was pretty painful to move even slightly and I felt sick. Apparently I was receiving pethadine rather than morphine from the epidural site into my back.

Saturday 12th February 2011, uneventful sleepy day. I didn’t really expect pain in the hospital as I assumed they’d have awesome pain killers but I was in pain and the pain killers just made me feel nauseous. Was told Pysio Therapy will be visiting tomorrow to start get me moving. Yikes!

Sunday 13th February 2011, bad start to the day with nausea as I tried to sit up a bit for breakfast. I didn’t understand why I felt so damn light headed and promptly threw up what little I had eaten of last nights dinner in my empty breakfast bowl. I felt like shit.
Shortly after that PT came by to get me to sit up in bed. I did that but complained I was really dizzy and laid back down. They said they would come back in the afternoon.
The afternoon PT session was the worst and I scared them away. Sitting up wasn’t enough and they got me to the side of the bed where they wanted me to try and stand! I was in pain and light headed. The catheter got tangled or stuck or something and felt like it was pulling and burning my wee hole it was madness, they didn’t seem to care so tears started rolling down my face, which then turned into a full on unstoppable bawl/panic attack where I could barely breath and was chocking on my own tears. I just let it all out. They got scared off and I laid back down sobbing uncontrollably L that was not a good day.

Monday 14th February 2011, a much better day than the one before. And Valentines day! This was the day I made the most progress. In preparation, I started sitting up first thing in the morning. This was not easy and I had to take deep breaths with the oxygen in my nose as I was still very queasy and light headed and scared I would throw up my breakfast. Mum and dad and I sat watching tv while I waited for the dizziness to go away which it didn’t really do for ages but by lunch, sitting upright the whole time, I eventually felt better. Mikk came in with roses for me which was so nice :) .. I was used to sitting up now and prepared for PT which didn’t come for a long time. I was sure yesterdays episode scared them away for good but finally a different PT lady arrived (as you can tell, I am horrible with names and just call everyone lady/man etc sorry!) So, they sent someone else to do their difficult patients hey? She was told about my difficulties yesterday and was being super patient and nice but I was ready to go and keen as mustard now. We made sure the catheter was adjusted before moving me around and I did it. I stood up! Not only that, I thought well now that I’m up I should take some steps. And did that no problem either! Except the pain, which is uncomfortable but you have to get over it..
I then had a nap and sat back up before the afternoon PT session where she came back and this time I went all the way down the hall on the walker. Very proud of myself at this stage but my parents nor Mick were even around to see. They were off somewhere. So now that I was ‘mobile’ they took the catheter out. This was not as horrific an ordeal as I thought it'd be but did feel a bit uncomfortable. Then, the nurse asked if I wanted to shower. Hurray! I hadn't had a shower since Thursday morning and I felt well and truly yucky. Mum and Dad came back to a empty room where a nurse was changing the sheets, they thought I'd been moved but I surprised them as I came out of the bathroom on the walker with the help of the nurse all fresh and new. A big improvement from yesterday.
It hasn't been painless especially after PT and moving around but it has to be done. I couldn't get to sleep because of the pain and the nurses were very helpful, they tried endone and when that didn't do the trick I got a morphine injection which did the trick nicely. I've learnt that you don't have to put up with uncomfortable pain so don't be scared to tell the nurses as that is what they're there for.

Throughout this time Dr Solomon came by my room almost every day briefly to check on my progress and have a few words. He has been very good and so have all the lovely nurses at Prince of Wales. But especially my mum, dad and boyfriend Mick who have spent every day by my bed bored out of their brains but always there for me and supporting me. I am very lucky <3<3

Today, Tuesday 15th February 2011, I did more PT with the walker in the morning and this afternoon swapped it for crutches after a successful crutches session. I am on the home stretch now!
I was getting cabin fever from being stuck in the same room for so long so asked the nurse if there was a wheelchair we could borrow for a little while. Mick wheeled me around the hospital and downstairs to the gift shop to buy a couple magazines and outside for some fresh air where we watched the hospital helicopter land.
I found myself getting frusterated at not being able to just get up to go get something or go to the toilet. It is such a hassle and pain to move to go to the bathroom but I'm trying not to let it get me down!

^My walker in hospital^

No comments:

Post a Comment