Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Surgeon appointment

I can’t believe I have 8 days to go till surgery time. I don’t know if I’m nervous or scared or anxious. It’s something though. I’m starting to think about it a lot more now.

On Friday I had my pre-surgery appointment with the surgeon, which I thought would make me nervous and scare me but did the opposite. I thought it would involve preparations such as giving blood and checking my health etc. No need to give blood I was informed. A cell-saver is used during surgery and this is sufficient. All the routine preps and checks are done prior to surgery on the day. So I drove 3 hours (rather, my partner drove) to see the surgeon for 10 minutes to answer my questions about the surgery.

These questions included:

*Scar size/location ?
*Do I need to come off the contraceptive pill?
*Fasting prior to op?
*How long will this op take?
*What is used to prevent blood clots in hospital and at home?
*What sort of mobility aids to I need at home?
*What are my restrictions?
*Can I travel home in the car after discharge from hospital?
*Pain management at home?
*Physio therapy at home?
*When can I drive again?
*When can I lie on my side/stomach again?

I must admit I was surprised at how reassuring this appointment was. I think the fact that I had been reading quite a few blogs of other people recording their experience with PAO and recovery, I had a different idea of how difficult it would be but now realise that everyone is different, every surgeon is different and that PAO’s have come a long way in 3-4 years since those blogs.

My surgeon pretty much just said: no restrictions except only toe-touch with crutches but no weight bearing for 6 weeks. Mainly, whatever feels comfortable.

The scar will be slightly curved on the front of my hip area and won’t be very gigantic or long. (I will post pics of scar when acceptable to do so).

I have come off the pill in preparation at the doctor’s recommendation.

I was told I will be his last op for the day so should be around 1.00pm and should stop eating at 7am, and no fluids after 9am.

The op will take approx 3 hours but can vary.

TED stockings and medication are used to prevent blood clots in hospital.

Apparently I don’t need any mobility aids except crutches. No toilet seat raiser or anything like that. This surprised me because all of the people whose PAO blogs I’ve read did use toilet seat raisers and other household aids for at least the first few weeks. However my surgeon said they’re only used for THR patients.

He said it’s no problem to travel 3 hours home in the car after discharge.

I will be given prescriptions for my pain management at home upon discharge.

I will have physio in the hospital to get me moving and used to the crutches, but after that he doesn’t like to do physio until after the 6 week mark when the bone is healed and ready to go.

He also said I can drive again when it feels comfortable to do so (I have an auto car) and will find that may be 2 or 3 weeks post op!

Same goes with lying on my side or stomach: whenever it feels comfortable/a couple weeks post op.

I had the impression I would be absolutely hopeless for the first month/6 weeks and unable to do anything or even go to the toilet easily, let alone drive a car. So maybe it won’t be as bad as I thought. The doctor certainly made me feel reassured that it will be fine. I’m young and healthy so my recovery should be quick and easy! (Is he over-enthusiastic because most of his patients are over 70?) We’ll see how I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment